Thursday, January 26, 2012

Nunilo ra Piro!

The English guys have their backs to me. In case you couldn't tell.
Okay kids, I've been gone for a couple of days, well from the blogosphere at any rate, and for that I apologize. Kind of a rough day today, but when it gets a little rough for me, I just read this. I just had to get back on in order to update what's been going on with the two British dudes from the previous post. My feelings about them have nearly done a 180. You see, they must be staying at the hotel where I dine each night, and for the past three nights have been in the dining room at the same time as me. Or maybe I'm in the dining room at the same time as them, it depends on perspective I guess, and I'm kind of selfish, despite my world changing work with the children of Nepal. What they are up to is kind of interesting to witness. From what I can tell, they are trying to sell fabric to a couple of Nepali guys who must run a factory making clothing and specializing in suits. The whole thing reminds me a little bit of "How to Make it in America". This may not bode well for them as the show made it only a couple of seasons and was actually pure garbage beyond the typically smooth HBO producing. They are hustling like crazy. They have spreadsheets, and principle balances, expected and promised returns, and they do a lot of talking. There have been heated moments where I was convinced the Nepali guys were about to walk out on the entire thing. In fact, the guy on the left does most of the schmoozing and always tells them that "its about the timing of when you sell, that's how you make the money!" They have some type of ten year plan, wherein the initial investment by the Nepali group would be made up in the first three years, and then they would begin to turn a profit. The whole thing sounds to me like they are just trying to sell a ton of cheap fabric to these guys on a regular basis. The thing is this, the Nepali guys are kind of demanding a guaranteed return, while the English guys are hedging on that idea, explaining that it's a gamble, like anything except me winning the lottery all businesses are. If the fabric was any good, why wouldn't they just sell it in England? I mean the cost and annoyance of doing business in Nepal is substantial, as I am quickly finding out. Anyway, I can't decide who I'm rooting for in this negotiation - My adopted countrymen of Nepal, or the English dudes who are really trying to make something questionable happen. It's exciting to me and I'll let you know what I find out. Oh man, these guys just suggested a STEAK dinner! Hah, not too bright of an idea in a mainly Hindu country....


What else happened today? Well, I spent a good portion of it at the bank, of which I will spare you the details, and the rest of it was spent writing the Nepali alphabet which, as you can imagine is rather difficult and may cause early onset arthritis. I then spent the next hour trying to memorize vocabulary involved with tastes. If you're interested here are some words- Guliya, amilo, nunilo, piro, swaad. Two of them describe my favorite types of food - Nunilo and Piro, salty &spicy! Like a hot Mexican pirate woman. Has that ever existed? Anyway, before things go even further downhill, here are some more pictures...
It looks as hard as it is. There are 36 consonants and 13 vowels ranging from the sounds "ahm" to "ksha"
I know you all love pictures of my room and here is the latest and best incarnation

I feel like a world traveler and this picture kind of confirms it. Now I look like one too. This guy helps me with my Nepali. Wait, am I here to learn Nepali or advance golf in Nepal? It's one and the same is the Zen answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment