Thursday, January 5, 2012

From the bed/desk of Stan Witko

 Okay, I'm not sure why I included this first picture. Maybe it's indicative of how I live; Map sprawled out, Nepal guide book, baseball hat, and computer case. Also, this doubles as my desk. You see, my room has two beds and no desk. Although this picture is somewhat misleading because I recently switched to sleeping on this bed, and turned the other bed into a desk. It just get much better light 2 yards away.
 This is from Durbar Square, Kathmandu. Clearly the palace on the right has been repaired and refinished to look a bit more modern. I think a giant earthquake destroyed the first one. Also, these are the least convoluted electricity wires in all of Nepal. I was able to meet a Korean man today, Tommy Kim, who is also importing some junior and ladies clubs into Nepal. He is also a reporter for YTN, a 24 hour news Channel. The best thing about meeting him and talking with him is his willingness to help get HYGA into some orphanages to brighten the kids days a little bit. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to do more of since arriving in Nepal. I figure I have about 5 more weeks in KTM before I head to Pokhara and turn the program partly over to my newest (and only) employee, Sachin Bhattari. He will be accompanying me to the orphanage until I leave, at which point he should be capable of running that part of the program himself.
 Another thing I'm doing is creating a yardage book for RNGC. This is the first hole. If the best junior players can learn to use a yardage book, they will improve their scores dramatically.
 Also the first hole. Notice the city in the background. The golf course is always a welcome change of pace from being inside the city. Oh, did I mention we are going to be in negotiations to get our own executive course in Pokhara to turn use a junior academy? That's freakin' awesome!
I can't remember if I've already mentioned that and going back through words I've already written perfectly seems like a waste of time. That excitement was muted a bit today as absolutely nothing happened. (well we mapped out two more holes) and I basically hung out at the clubhouse all day studying Nepali and drinking coffee. There are worse things in life, however. (political burn!)
Hole #4, a par 5 that goes up hill to the right

How about another view of the same par 5, different tee box?


No comments:

Post a Comment