Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nearly Passing out in a Foreign Country Stinks


One of the better juniors. We were allowed to use the second hole for this lesson, as you are not allowed to hit drivers or hybrids on the range.
Practice makes perfect. Or at least not totally awful.

Okay, my apologies for not posting in the last few days. I have actually been really sick for a couple of days with what felt like the flu or something. I don't know if I've ever had the flu, I got shot before I came, and it only lasted a couple of days, so maybe it wasn't the flu. It definitely had something to do with the cold, however. At night it is now dipping into the mid-low thirties and since there is no heat in my room, it makes for some very long nights and chilly mornings. At one point I was drinking a pot of tea in a nearby restaurant and I began to sweat profusely, my vision started getting questionable and I was a few seconds from passing out. I kept telling myself to breathe deeply and to focus on something in order to stay awake. I was actually pretty proud of myself for not falling off my chair, or going face down into my tea. After what felt like ten minutes, but was probably more like thirty seconds, I somewhat snapped out of it and realized I was covered in sweat; enough that it went through my hat and sweatshirt. I'm not sure what exactly that was all about, but I believe it had something to do with dehydration and the fact that I had been living on tea and bread for the last two days. So a warning for the next pro to make his/her way here..drink a lot of water! Luckily, had I passed out I would have been okay since that place is a regular of mine on most nights and the waiters and captain are friends of mine who help me with my clumsy Nepali without growing weary.
Part of the drive into Thamel from the Sinamangal (sp?) area. Anyway, this could be pretty much any side street in KTM, but on this one they are widening the road by knocking down houses and store fronts. It's one way to go about fixing the traffic problem. Another way would be with any rule. Any rule whatsoever would be a start.
This is tough work if you can get it. I have trouble just connecting my PS3 to the TV. ahhh I miss that thing!
They brought me water and some soda water with black salt in it for my stomach. That stuff tastes awful and you burp it up for the next three hours, but it did make my stomach feel better. I should be getting a kerosene heater today, as well as some sort of table and chair in order to make my room a bit more liveable, not to mention healthy. Since I have been battling illness, I haven't had a chance to do much exciting stuff. I did manage to give a video lesson to the four kids who are sponsored this year from the NGA for their golf and schooling. They were terribly interested to see their swings on video for the first time and consequently made fun of each other when it wasn't their turn. I don't even know if that's proper English anymore. I have a meeting next week with the owner of The Fulbari Hotel and Resort in Pokhara. This hotel owns the golf course that we are trying to take control of. I'm also hoping to work out a deal that allows each pro who comes here to stay on the hotel property as it is a five star hotel, the only one in Nepal. Whoever (whom ever? what is going on with my once superior grasp of my native language?) is next should send me money every week for a year if this happens  really be rooting for this to happen.
Next post- The meaning of courage.......

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your feeling better. There would be nothing worse than being sick in a foreign country. Take care, keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete