Sunday, January 22, 2012

He's a(n) (ego)Maniac

Okay... admittedly I did not play much golf for a few weeks following my first trip outside of Kathmandu. I may have been traumatized by having to play at The Himalayan Course, or humbled by losing about a dozen balls in only a few days, or maybe I was following up on one of my many threats to "quit #*##ing playing golf forever". I guess the last option can't be true, as I have been practicing every day for the last week and have played at least nine holes each day as well. I think everybody gets to a point in their golfing career where there are basically two options; 1.) take two weeks off and then quit, or 2.) take two weeks off, realize you can't live without it and beg it to take you back. If you choose the latter option you are recommitted, as if you had cheated on a girlfriend and suddenly you are buying flowers every day, washing her car, making dinner, and not farting in her presence. Likewise, you practice, think about golf, watch some golf on TV, read golf and even show the courage to go put your questionable swing out there for public consumption. Now, I am here to teach golf, to grow golf in Nepal, and as frequent readers know, I have taken it upon myself to create an entire junior academy in Pokhara. So I am obviously not far away from the game at any point, at least physically. The life of a teaching professional or administrator dealing with golf generally means a life without playing or practicing. In Nepal, howevaaah, there is ample time to both play and practice should you desire. Well, I now have the desire and have actually been improving. In fact after making three consecutive bogies to start my back nine today I finished with 6 pars in a row, including an improbable par in which I used a hybrid from a greenside bunker and watched as the ball rolled nearly 30 yards, nestling close enough for me to make a putt. 9 iron, hybrid, putter = par. Who would like me to continue talking about my golf game? Maybe you'd like to hear about another dream, or how about my fantasy baseball team, The Nixons. (Who were dealt a somewhat severe blow when Victor Martinez went down for the year. Don't worry, though I still have the best team and Chet Lemon is going to have a hard time reclaiming his dynasty title after I repeat this year) Wait, nobody wants to hear about that stuff? Okay then back to doing some good in the world. Of golf, that is.
Par five. I smoked this drive, hooked the next shot but got a good bounce, hit a bad chip and two putted for the first of my par streak that day

 Aside from teaching golf to these youngsters, I am trying to give them some things to take away from the course as well. In golf you learn sportsmanship, respect for your competitors, honesty, and integrity. With this being the case, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when politicians are out playing golf. In fact, if they played a little more golf and did a little less talking we may actually have a functioning congress. I'm not saying the kids I'm teaching now will grow up to become the next Governor of California, but I am saying that we may be better of if they did fulfill that dream of mine.And I'm nominating this little guy here for a run in 20something. I don't even know his name, nor do I know how old he is, but if Arnold can do it, I'm positive this guy has an outside shot. I love the look on his face, like "why is this big white guy taking a picture of me? And if he is I may as well pose for it just in case he thinks I don't have any chops.


I also met the German Ambassador today, a very tall white lady who prefers to play golf with the company of men only. We were talking after the round and she was happy that somebody was attempting to get kids involved in sports on a bigger level than simply finding the best kids and spending time and money on them. I explained that in order for the best kids to rise up and compete on an international level, all of the kids who wanted to play needed to at least have the opportunity. Without competition, kids can't succeed at sports by simply practicing. When was the last time North Korea won anything? Well, besides Kim Jong-Il, of course.  I have started treating these kids like little soldiers, though in The Great Leaders honor, and I have them all get into their stance, show me correct positions, and swing when I tell them to. I stand on a tee box and bark out orders while they happily follow along. Alright, tell your friends about the blog and get them to make a donation to HYGA or to me directly, however they prefer.  I leave you with more pictures of actual golf....Later, kids!

I took the smallest kids that day and paired them off. They learned the words hosel, grip, shaft, toe and heel. All places that you can hit the ball with. After the clinic I was kind of amused that I didn't teach them where the face of the club is. I think that says more about my game than anything else. Sad.

I have the kids teach each other after I teach them. It reinforces the lesson of the day and gives them some confidence.


Why not finish with a picture of me? It's why you're reading, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment