Monday, January 2, 2012

Aggressive Guides+Rain+Temples = ?

 Okay, (first of all, why do I always feel the need to start these blog posts with okay? I was trying to fight it, but I think I’ll just own it and make it my own thang) after helping to install a USGA style handicap system at the RNGC yesterday I headed back to my room and while lying in bed I heard a really soothing sound; the sound of rain hitting the window and everything else outside for that matter. (a second side note- I’m pretty sure I use way too many semi colons and parentheses and commas. Cormac McCarthy uses roughly zero, so I’ll take his) At first I thought the rain was just static from the TV and when I realized it wasn’t on, I thought it was my iPhone, and when that wasn’t the case I panicked and thought maybe something was wrong with my hearing. That, my friends, is what happens when you are culturally isolated for so long. The rain was amazing to fall asleep with, is the eventual point of this opening stanza.
Today I ventured to Durbar Square, Kathamndu Style. I highly recommend you click on the link, as I cannot begin to describe the historical relevance with any degree of accuracy. It was a dramatic change from Patan. There were a lot more people, more items for sale; thus more salesmen, an overpriced ticket booth, and a number of aggressive tour guides. You see, you are not required to hire a guide and this time I didn’t feel the need to be led around the square. I had a pamphlet and also had a Nepali friend, Bina, with me. She had actually never been to these particular temples either, but at least she can read Nepali, so I felt good about it. Another thing I felt good about was being complimented on my Nepali accent. I don’t a lot of words, but at least I say some of them well. After paying the 750 rupees to get past the gate (Nepali citizens pay 30 rupees I believe) I was told that the price was actually good for as long as my visa was valid, all I had to do was go to the site office and get a stamp. Well, if you have been following my blog, you know nothing is that simple, (customs, golf programs, etc.,) but I got my hopes up again anyway. I went to the site office and was told that I needed a passport sized picture in order to extend it longer than three days. Of course. I managed to get it extended for three days instead. After that we were accosted by a prospective guide who adamantly demanded 1500 rupees for his services. Politely declining, we continued into a Buddhist temple. He followed us inside and continued to tell us how much better he was than any book. I continued to say no, as did Bina, but he was persistent. Leaving the temple I banged my head against the top of the doorway. Just as I get my hopes up that something may be easily accomplished, I continually bang my head on the smallish doors. I believe there’s a striking correlation there. Or an analogy. Or maybe a future fable. Anyway, this guy followed us out and then began to tell us how we are the reason Nepal is in trouble. Nepalis need to help Nepalis, he practically yelled at us, as we picked up the pace. The rain actually cleared away as we walked through century old temples and palaces and hiked nine stories of a wooden staircase within the museum, dedicated to the history of Kings in Nepal. Cameras were not allowed inside the museum, but they were allowed everywhere else. After spending about an hour and a half in the square, we headed to New Road, where Bina wanted to do some shopping. After a couple hours of bumping into people, dodging traffic, bargaining and getting lost, all I wanted to do was get back to my room and take a shower. No hot water. But it was a great day, and I’m happy to share some pictures with you....


Starting the day at Himalayan Java
Read the link to figure out what this is. I had to.


This is the guy who denied my application, reason? No picture.


More knives, trinkets, and bracelets than you can imagine



I love this picture with all the birds. Especially because none of them dropped anything on me

Gai=Cow


One of the many alleys we ventured down looking for wholesale cosmetics

Intense window shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment