Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Getting Lost and Losing Stuff Super Bowl Edition

Okay, Becks is supposed to arrive around 10;30 this evening, so my blog posts could become a bit more sparse as I ease into my vacation time. My Super Bowl adventure was a huge success thanks mainly to my new buddy Brian Smith. He is an engineer with New England roots although he has done a ton of traveling. I was able to get a cab at 4 in the morning and I was also able to pay about triple the normal rate thanks to the early hour. (SHIT..just realized I left my vest at the cafe and I am now freezing cold. Some things never change.) Anyway, Brian came out to the northeast corner of the palace wall to meet me and we made our way back to his apartment where he had nachos and buffalo wings prepared for the game. He's opening a restaurant/sports bar in Kathmandu and if the food is even half as good as the wings, it'll definitely be a success. We traded stories about the culture differences we face in our respective businesses and laughed about the fact that we were about to watch the game on a ten inch netbook. Although the fact is, we were both happy to be surrounded with Americana for a few hours. It was an extremely odd feeling watching the game at 5 am on a Monday morning, waiting for load shedding to start. You see, there are about 12 hours a day without electricity at this point. Luckily he has a generator so while we were without many lights, we still had the game. The streaming was choppy and it we checked the gametracker on ESPN.com frequently. However, we were able to watch most of the key plays as they unfolded, and I am probably a lot happier about that than he is. After the game I wandered around, got lost (like I said, some things never change), and eventually made it back to my tiny hotel room and passed out.
Wings and Nachos during the Super Bowl!

This is my current room, two huge bugs live in the TV

This is the room at the nice hotel. Thanks, Moon!
 On a side note, one of the great benefits of doing something like this is that I no longer get bombarded by ESPN espn. Wait...I want a job at grantland, which is part of ESPN...Sorry fellas, c'mon just gimme a shot! Hey, remember all those other great posts I've written? go check them out while I upload some pictures for my many many readers......



One of the many streets I walked down after the game trying to get home











No comments:

Post a Comment