Friday, February 24, 2012

a brief time out to think

     Okay, as I sit here thinking back on the last 10 months of my life, which has included preparing for and subsequently traveling to Nepal, I am trying to prepare myself for the most inevitable question when I return- "Well, how was it?" Where do I even start in answering that question. For a while I thought of answering with "Have you ever been to Cleveland?", and then walking away. This would leave the interviewer shaking his head and wondering what the hell just happened. Which is exactly how I am feeling right now. I wish I could sum this whole thing up in a neat, tidy sentence or even paragraph. It would be easier for me, for everyone in my life, and for this blog.
     As my time here winds down I am more and more aware that I don't know how to answer the big how was it? question. It has been equal parts terrifying, beautiful, heartbreaking, painful, exciting, fun, and overwhelming. I don't know that I've become  a better person, or that I have some new understanding of human nature. I'm still a selfish, snarky dude who thinks people are mostly awful but pretend to be otherwise when there is something to be gained. I said most. I do like the idea that character is what you do when no one is watching. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking in order to not incriminate myself, but I like the idea.
Two layers of Kathmandu.
     Do you see what happens to my brain when I take playing golf out of the equation? Man, I gotta go hit some balls......

No comments:

Post a Comment