Saturday, February 25, 2012

Don't read this if you can't take a joke. Or do, whatever....

     Okay...as my departure date becomes closer, I am wrapping up at least a couple of the things I set out to create here in Kathmandu. On March 3rd, RNGC, the NGA, and HYGA will host the first tournament of what should be a continuous Nepal Junior Tour. However, I'm still waiting for Gokarna Forest Resort to sign the contract the The Faldo Series and I have worked out. It's important for them do this in a timely manner, as I have managed to get one of our juniors invited to the FSA championship on March 16th, should we complete the agreement. I was also invited to meet Nick Faldo himself and announce the tournament to the international press. Sadly, I don't have the funds to make the trip back to China to do this. It's entirely bitter, but the whole point is getting golf to grow in Nepal, right? Right? Well, even that won't happen if the contract doesn't get signed. Why wouldn't they sign this?, you may ask. Well, there's no reason besides ego and pettiness and bickering. These three things could derail the entire thing. If this happens, I would really have to question coming back to Nepal for anything to do with golf. For now, please think some good thoughts, and let's hope we can get this done. It's soooooo close, I can see it....
     Now it's time to complain about some shit....This is some of the worst advice I have ever read.  It is supposed to be travel advice, but what it really is, is an insult to the people of any country you're visiting. The first thing it says is to wear clothes that make you blend in. Here's the thing - you're not going to blend in unless you have been living in the country for at least a year and can speak the language fluently. Wearing native clothes makes you look like an asshole. Another thing this "article" suggests is to wear make-up that makes you look darker. read that again out loud and see if it passes the common sense test. The indigenous people already know you're a tourist from 50 yards away, just own it and be polite and stay alert is all you can really do. Also, take language lessons and make some local friends. That's it. That's the big secret to getting along well in a foreign country.
     I think what set me off on that little paragraph is seeing idiots (foreigners) walking around in sandals in streets that could give you five or six diseases from simply touching them. Then they put on the local clothing and become easy marks for anyone who would like to charge the highest possible price for goods. Next.....
     English people mainly suck. I know they're our best ally and everything, but enough with the pretending to be polite, and then acting quite the opposite. Nobody gives a shit that you're English. You're no more special than anyone else. Pastier, yes. Shittier food, yes. And louder, YES. but you're definitely not anything great. I'm pumped we beat your ass down. Is it the Fourth of July, yet? It's my new favorite Holiday. Here's another big secret revealed - English people want you to think they're smarter than you because they have an accent. Well, they're not. I've become friends with people form Bangladesh, Australia, Nepal (obviously), South Africa, India, and Ireland on this trip. Yet there are a ton of English tourists. You should here them talk at any "pub" they manage to find. Think in an English accent for a moment...
"Oh, you're from Yorkshire, then? Which part?"
"Southern, mainly, that's where the culture is, wouldn't be caught dead anywhere else."
"I've heard that. Shame, really about the rest of the area. How much is a flat there?"
"Don't know, me mum pays for it. I need it for university, mainly and then I'll move to London and live properly."
Now think of my voice, inside my head, "SHUT THE F*CK UP BEFORE I LIGHT YOU ON FIRE"
     That was all unwarranted and I'm sorry it wasn't said sooner. Now on to some pictures of kids enjoying golf in the sun.....



They lined up from tallest to shortest for no reason.

I swear I will get these kids to flip clubs before I'm done.

I remember when golf was fun. It looks like this.

 
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment