Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Deep Thoughts with Stan Witko

Probably didn't need that one.
I'm slowly getting into a groove here in Pokhara, which is too bad since I'll be heading back to KTM on the 9th. I'm still debating between bus or plane. The plane costs about $80 and takes 25 minutes with views of Everest if it's clear. The bus costs about $10 and takes 6 hours with views of farmland, terrifying drops and locals being locals. Any thoughts?  Back to my semi-groove; In the morning I teach at the driving range, a three minute walk from my residence, and in the afternoon I get picked up on a motorcycle and take a 30 minute ride to the Himalayan Course, where I teach four of the best juniors the city has to offer. Then I come home and usually cab it to lakeside (npr 150 or a twenty minute walk) for dinner and a semi cold beer. After walking around for a while I head back to my room, watch some cricket, which is a poor substitute for baseball, and read some Nepali language books until I fall asleep with the lights on.
You really have to be okay with being alone culturally for this experience. In a previous post I had expressed that it may be better alone, and I still think that after it's done, that'll be the case, but I am still counting the days until Nick Becks arrives in KTM for the culture shock of his life.
Some other things I've learned include Sportscenter Asia puts me to sleep faster than its US cousin, Junior golf manuals from the PGA don't translate AT ALL in Nepal, schedules here are subject to change frequently, and after getting a bit sick from eating a "pizza" I am reminded that not everything is safe to eat. Seriously, how do I get sick from that, yet I can ingest all the dhal bat I can order and feel fine? I blame the cheese. 
I cannot believe it's December as the days are starting to go by more quickly now that my senses have started to adjust and I have an idea of what to pay attention (horns on the road and horns on cows in the road) and what to let go by without analyzing to death (cows on the side of the road, burning piles of garbage, temples surrounded by people trying to sell me fake everything).
Last night I was invited to an English-style dinner by the owner of the place I'm staying. I was very grateful to be able to sit at the table with some westerners and discuss something I have no clue about - paragliding. There was an English couple, the owner (also English), and a Polish dude who had been traveling around Asia paragliding for the last six months. I told them about the programs I was instituting, and the thoughts I had on Nepali culture. They then spoke to each other about thermals and different launching points. At that point I again missed hanging out with my Nepali friends. Speaking of which. My friends call my every night now that they're back in KTM, and ask me how I'm doing and if I'm okay and if there's anything they can do to please just call and they will help post haste. So here's a special shout out to Pashupati and Ramesh! Thank you for caring so much about a white dude from California.
 So as I sit here writing this I am wondering where in Kathmandu I'll be living, how I'll get there, and if I dare to rent a motorcycle to get around town. Then I look at the Himalayan mountains and decide that it doesn't really matter. I'll be okay however it shakes out.
The following picture is an unfortunate ending to my writing, I know.

Check out this nice bathroom. Next time you think yours is in bad shape, consider that this was at a better restaurant

Here are my five main students at the Pokhara driving range. They're all pretty new to golf, and have too much access to the internet. Therefore, I am bombarded with questions about things they see or read, and if it's correct. They love learning, though, which is better than some American kids who would rather be playing Nintendo ( I dominated at Mike Tysons Punch Out)

The art of club flipping

More club flipping. Once I showed them some tricks, learning went away.

This is one of the students I teach in the afternoon at the Himalayan course. These guys are the better, more serious players

Someones laundry next to a garden area at a restaurant. I guess you get used to it

My morning students towards the end of the session. They get together and have target practice, using new shots they've learned during the day.




2 comments:

  1. Hi wstan, forgot to warn you about the bathrooms. couple of places i went in china there were people selling toilet paper (buy the piece) out in front of the stalls. talk about a tough buck! My only advice is take the plane! thanks for the pictures.
    love you, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus. We are going to have to fly to Chitwan. Black gloves?

    ReplyDelete