Monday, November 21, 2011

A thousand words

Okay so I'm having a bit of trouble uploading my pictures from the last couple of days because the internet connection is a little worse here than in Kathmandu. After foolishly staying up until about 4am yesterday, I slept, if you can call it that, for an hour before boarding a bus to Pokhara. This is definitely not recommended anywhere in the world, much less on the type of roads that you need to travel on to get to the first place you can really see the Himalayan mountains. But, I'll get to them later. First, allow me to explain why the bus ride was so interesting.
As I said, I was going on about an hour of sleep. Secondly, I didn't stay up until four am drinking vegetable smoothies and doing yoga. Now, this was a "tourist bus", and we had about fifteen golf pros with reserved seats. The seats are not made for American sized people, the shocks were probably close to non-existent, and I was slamming bottled water like it was from the fountain of youth. That said, the ride itself was incredible. Once you're outside of the city you begin climbing what amounts to a road from Ice Road Truckers. The views are steep and surreal. Looking down from my window seat I saw a cliff that dropped only a few hundred feet. There was no guard rail and the distance between the wheels and the edge was the length of a putt I would give Steve Bossard.
As you climb steeper the setting turns more into a farmland and jungle mix with a few scattered shops and restaurants. Now, the shops sell everything from soap to liquor to knives and are about ten feet by ten feet. The bus makes Two stops during the five hour trip; one for breakfast and one for Lunch. You would think it'd be better to just keep going but the stops really do energize you. I ate Dhal Bat. When you travel with Nepali dudes, you eat Nepali food.
Upon arrival in Pokhara, we unpacked our clubs and luggage from the large bus and walked them about half a mile to the hotel. I tried to eat some dinner, but was too exhausted to even eat some noodles. I did have some dried goat meat and fried mushrooms though and both were saltier than I had imagined. Finally I passed out after taking about fifteen pictures of the mountain range. What a ridiculous sight those are. I can't do this blog, the course I just finished my practice round on, or the Himalayas any justice without pictures. I'll leave you with a few thoughts. The first tee has a full view of the mountains, drops a few hundred feet into a canyon, and has a green surrounded by barbed wire fence with metal turnstiles used to gain entry. This is to keep the lawnmowers inside a specific area. The lawnmowers are goats. My caddie was a 15 year old girl named Jasmine who wore some sweet converse and a big red flower in her hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment