Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Some thoughts without pictures. Just read, baby - it'll do your brain good

Prepare for a diary of fluid thought......

Okay,  so as I sit here tonight on the precipice of my first professional tournament I am drinking a Tuborg and listening to music next to Phewa Lake in Pokhara. I continually try to figure out if it would be better to share this with someone or if I am just so selfish that each moment seems incredible and it wouldn't be as incredible with someone here. I guess during the tough spots I would have much preferred someone to be with me, but I also wouldn't have grown as much (I know it's only been a couple weeks) if I didn't do this on my own....
So after another practice round in which I played poorly, I had the chance to do some video instruction for a couple of my pro golfer friends using my iPhone. That was rewarding, but I was also able to spend some time teaching my afformentioned caddie, Jasmine, about the golf swing. Standing in the sun, teaching her posture and L to L (golf terms for the correct arm action in the swing), and watching her absolute enjoyment in the game was the most rewarding thing I've done so far. It was a reaffirming moment, and one I won't forget. Now, keep in mind that at the Himalayan Golf Course you bring your own range balls, and have small ball boys running around picking them up as you hit them, bringing them back to you in a plastic bag, and beginning the process again. Jasmine was using one old Titleist ball and some of my clubs and chasing after the ball herself. It's absolutely heart breaking and amazing at once. As a matter of fact, before my practice round this morning she brought my bag out along with a surprise - an old Nike Ignite golf ball. She handed it to me and said "ball" and smiled. When I put it into play her smile was as big as mine. Maybe.
I began this blog entry thinking about my round tomorrow and how I could avoid playing poorly, but it's obvious that it doesn't matter how I play. I played like shit today and the lasting memories are not of the balls I hit into the river flowing from the glaciers, or the times I had to hike up and down a jungle filled canyon. The memories are more complex than that, and more fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment