Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rewarding Moments following a Storm


 My teaching skills are being tested here, mainly because of the language barrier. It's tough to use words like 'transition' and 'pronate' while still getting a point across. So, as I've said before a lot of the teaching methods have become kinesthetic and visual. That being said, I am making some great progress with both groups of kids here in Pokhara and they are happy to learn all they can about golf. A very rewarding moment came this morning during tea with the kids at the range. (prepare for some bragging)  I was told that they were talking about me after I left yesterday and they were trying to devise a way to come up with money for my room and board if I could stay a little longer to coach them. I knew we were doing good work, but to see them caring that much was incredible. I then proceeded to stay an extra hour, forgoing lunch if favor of staying with these guys for a little while longer. In a related story, I'm slowly getting used to the idea of being here for six more months. I had a moment the other night when I was awoken to the sound of wild dogs and it kept me up for about an hour. I was beginning to question if how I could make it through this whole thing. Of course, it was the next morning that the kids propositioned me, which strengthened my resolve by about a million whatever-you-measure-resolve in. Part of this blog is about helping the next Pro who comes here, so in that respect, I'd like to say that you'll have some dark moments of doubt, but if you stick with it, and are totally amazing (like me) you'll be fine. Picture time.....




My guys at The Himalayan working on hitting 7:30 spinners to the practice green


This costs about $2. You just have to smell the butter and kind of get lucky with the vegetables being fresh. Still, great value here!

Sideways bus, wild dog, motorcycle going at an undetermined speed (too fast, broken speedometer), potholes, and piles of rocks. I'm used to my ride to the Himalayan Course now. It's a bit different than my drive to the Lago.

Not sure what this was about, but I watched it for a while trying to figure it out. These guys all paraded down the street to this spot and set up the candles before turning on some sort of music video on a projector.

My good friends Deepak and Ramesh. They both look out for me like older brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment