Friday, November 25, 2011

This is what the sherpas would eat. It doesn't taste good, but it has a ton of energy in it and you eat it with your hands.

This golf course is probably the hardest course in the world. Literally. 

View from the clubhouse of The Himalayan Course

So they spelled my name wrong. People do it in America too. (Glazer!)

Thanksgiving Dinner

View through the jungle of Lake Phewa.

The other side of the lake, looking at part of Pokhara. This is where I ate some roasted peanuts and met a man bathing right below me.

My hog for a couple of days around town. It's bad ass, I know.


Begnas lake from half way up Sarangkot

Pokhara is down on the right

The valley from above. This is where the paragliders take off from


Boat ride on Lake Begnash took two hours to get from one side to the other.


So for Thanksgiving I went and got my head shaved with a really sharp razor and a very skilled barber. I then went about renting a scooter for the day. The only thing I had ever driven with two wheels previously was a bicycle. I told the guy "of course I've ridden a scooter before, now helmet, please." It took me a few minutes to get used to riding it, but it's a quick learning curve in the traffic around here. There are no real rules, except that you are supposed to drive on the left side of the road. I guess the other rule is NID, which means nose in driving. If you can push your way in front of someone, no matter how you do it, you gain the right of way. This makes driving between buses, tractors, and crazy cabs extremely dangerous.
I escaped the traffic and drove around the lake, stopping once for some peanuts and conversation with some dude washing in the lake. Slowly I made my way back into town and found a place to have an early thanksgiving dinner and beer. After that I rewarded myself with a 1 hour massage that cost about $10.
Later in the night I ran into this French guy, John, who I had run into before in KTM. We ended up being followed around by some really drunk woman from New Zealand who claimed to have lived in America for five years illegally. She got on my nerves, so I called it a night and headed back towards my room. I was met there by my friend Rabin, who was on a motorcycle and we went to the Thakali kitchen that seems to be a favorite among the other pros here. While at the kitchen I laid some more ground work for my program and recruited a pro to help me write the program with Nepali culture in mind. This is a big step since acceptance into their culture is imperative if you want to accomplish anything at all. I had some wine and toasted thanksgiving with them before officially calling it a night.

Black Friday, for me at least, included riding to Sarangkot to get some incredible views of the Annapurna range and then riding about 40 km to Lake Begnash to take a boat ride and walk through a small Nepali village. The people there have to walk three hours sometimes for drinking water and it takes the kids three hours to walk to school. Just some perspective for your daily commute. On the ride to Sarangkot I was accompanied by Rabin and Prassana as we called ourselves the Three Musketeers driving around Pokhara. The Nepali friends I've made here are incredibly nice and welcoming if you just act like a human being. I think a lot of people who are here for only a couple of weeks tend to treat this place like an amusement park and it gives tourists a bad name. You have to remember that you're in their country and try to do the best you can to adapt. You can't make this place adapt to you.
That's all for now kids. I feel my English skills deteriorating by the day, so forgive any questionable sentences I've constructed. Soon it will just be a bunch of pictures and maybe a caption.

No comments:

Post a Comment