Monday, November 28, 2011

Golf Clothes Stink

This morning I woke up early and was excited to have a chance to actually stand in a western style shower. Well, as western as I've seen so far, as it had an actual bathtub. Okay, so there was no shower rod or even hot water, but standing underneath that moderate flow of somewhat warm water in a maroon tub was really a pleasure. After that enjoyment I was awoken by Ramesh knocking on my door. I told him I'd meet him at the bakery in a few minutes and finished drying off hurriedly before putting on khakis and a golf shirt and heading out.
I'd like to inject here my personal feelings on ridiculous proper golf attire. Give me a break. Cut it out. (you know the hand motions people) I mean, what other sport in the world requires you to dress so foolishly and uncomfortably? (cricket doesn't count) I'm a firm believer that if you look good and feel good, you will play better, across all sports. To me this doesn't involve wearing polo shirts, thick leather belts, and pants that would fit in better on the French Riviera circa 1983. (this reminds me that I have only one more year of Mariano Rivera on my fantasy baseball team- Go Nixons!) To me this would involve something along the lines of track pants and a t shirt. Oh, but these shoes are definitely to be included.
Pardon that interjection, but it needs to be preached. After meeting Ramesh at the bakery down the road we went to the driving range where I met with some officials and volunteers and was introduced (to a round of applause) to the golfers who had shown up for lessons. It takes forever to upload my videos on here so I'll reserve those for an end of the program extravaganza, but I was so happy to be able to finally teach golf. We also went about setting up a schedule for me where I will be at the driving range from 8-10 every morning and on Saturday will do an all-inclusive junior clinic. In the afternoons, we hope to be able to go into some schools and use up their gym time explaining golf and doing some demonstrations of 5 iron flop shots. (that's for you, Bossard).
I had an interesting conversation with one business owner about the difference between a kid who has a natural swing and the kid who works hard at getting better. He was adamant that the former was a better golfer and I was completely on the other side. I was explaining that in golf, as in most things, it doesn't matter if you have a great swing if you don't put in the time. Give me the kid who shows up early every day and gives a true effort. That's the lesson today, kids - My swing stinks, but guess who outworked everyone to get to this place? (Not a humblebrag, just bragging)....now some pictures for those of you who are visual learners..
First lesson of the day- Collapsing lead knee leads to swaying forward in downswing

This driving range actually goes for 26o yds if you hit to the left corner. These kids are so happy to get instruction, it's crazy. Plus if they show up late, I make them do 25 push-ups in front of everyone

View from my new transient place in Pokhara. So much calmer than KTM. This is Damside

Hotels = development, right? right? Crap.

Jungle to the left of my room.

The sky is so massive here. It's like Montana, but a lot less white folks cowboying it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment