Thursday, December 22, 2011

Do the Hustle!

Slowly, I am creating a schedule and developing a routine which will allow me to sustain for the next five or so months. For example, since I don't have a gym readily available to me, I begin my day with two hundred push ups, and 100 crunches. I use my giant duffel bag, which I still live out of, to do curls and some type of inverted row. I then practice some yoga and take a shower. It's important to have a routine like this because it is so freaking cold in the morning, that I would not want to get out of bed otherwise. How cold is it, you may ask.. Well let me show you what I sleep in. That's right, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, winter hat, and what you can't see is the sleeping bag under the blanket. When you can see your breath, you know it's time to bundle up!
After going to the Royal Nepal Golf Club this morning, it's my home base in a way, I ate breakfast and was then picked up by Dr. Pradip Ranna and we went to the Army Officers Golf club. While there I gave some video lessons to about four former Generals and was happy to see how open to instruction they were.
Most of the Pros and a few select amateurs are going to Dharan this week for a tournament. I have elected to stay behind and continue teaching the Saturday junior clinics. This week, I expect maybe 25 kids to show up. Last week we worked on 50-75 yard shots, grip and stance. I also preach pre-shot routine to every student, not just the children. Nobody is interested in stepping back before every shot and creating a routine. This is maddening. If you do it on the course, why wouldn't you practice it on the driving range?? At any rate, the way we have the program set up here, courtesy of Domenic Provenzano, is similar to a first tee type format. There are different levels of players and they are able to test into the next level one Saturday a month. This is all fine and good. Except that for 90% of the players, it stops there. They can practice and go to clinics, but that's it. There's no chance of even being on a course.
This is where I am trying to change Nepal golf for the better, forever. I am working on creating the first ever Nepal Junior Golf Tour. If anyone with any graphics experience wants to help me with a logo, it would be appreciated. I plan on making our first nine hole tournament a heavily attended and publicized event. I am trying to get a schedule of at least four tournaments, one each month, with prizes and qualifying requirements; such as showing up every Saturday, good sportsmanship, listening, etc. This idea is on the very ground floor, but if Nepal is to compete in the Asian Amateur Championship, for example, it must have a strong foundation of competition among the juniors within the country. These are all my opinions, of course (mero bichaarmaa), and getting them put into action will require some hustling. Good thing I'm a hustla, baby! I'm up to the task.
If you feel like helping, or have any skill that you can ship me through the interweb, please email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment