Monday, December 5, 2011

Candy Bars for Men Only and Buckets as Swing Fixes

Clearly, some of my favorite readers are women, and although I value them as much as my male readers, they are not allowed to have a Yorkie. I wasn't even in the mood for a chocolate bar while shopping earlier today, but after running across this, I had no choice but to purchase it for the insanely high price of npr (nepali rupees) 95. After googling the item, it became a bit less interesting, but the packaging remains exceptional. There are so many directions this post could go from here, none of them good, and I have a feeling the satire needed to continue this line of writing may be something best shared after a few drinks.
As my final weeks in Pokhara winds down, I'm still trying to get an idea of where I'm going to live back in Kathmandu, and since it's not really up to me at all, it seems pointless to obsess about it. I have greatly enjoyed my stay at The Hotel Garden, from the very kind owner to the sweet views I get of the Annapurna range on clear days. Compared to the Hotel Treehouse, my first place of temporary residence, it has been a vast improvement. Perhaps the only drawback to this location is it's distance from the Golf Course. However, having that distance has afforded me the opportunity to take some exciting motorcycle rides through the city. At The Treehouse, I needed only cross a dangerous intersection (although which ones aren't in KTM) and walk up a tiny hill to get to the Royal Nepal Golf Course.
Now for some golf news. When I started a couple of weeks ago this kid had never even picked up a club. And believe it or not, to get him to this point has taken a bunch of work from teacher and student. I try to get the kids to use their legs as much as possible and a common theme seems to be describing how physics and gravity work to their benefit. They seem to have the idea that the arms should do most, if not all, of the work. That explains why we have done drills where I have up to eight of them at a time throwing clubs down the range, hitting shots of no more than fifty yards, and for this guy here, hitting fifty yard shots with a plastic bucket between his legs. You see, his stance used to resemble that of a bull rider sans bull. We don't have a ready supply of mirrors or basketballs to use, so the bucket had to do. It drew some laughs from some of the other students, but when they saw it actually working for him, they all began to check their knee positions.




This Tibetan woman agreed to a picture if I agreed to purchase a bracelet from her at a price which I'm sure was a complete rip-off, but I liked talking to her so I wanted a picture and considered the $5 to be a fair price for both. Clearly, I have not shaved in a number of days (I swear I will tomorrow), and as soon as I brought out the iPhone for the picture, she was more interested in that than anything else I had to say. I'm still debating if her story was true, or a made up one to sell things to tourists. Being a skeptical American, although the skeptical part is lessening by the day, I tend to think there is some truth and some fabrication for the purposes of sale. She claimed to have a daughter living in San Francisco once I divulged that I was from California. This is the part I find hard to believe. I think she probably has a daughter living in whichever part of the world her next client hails from. But she also said her husband was killed in China many years ago, so she is not fond of the Chinese. Nor is she too fond of the new Nepali government, which is mainly Maoist, since she claims they don't want any Tibetans in Nepal. At any rate, I bought the bracelet, took the picture, and thanked her for her time before movin' on down the road.









1 comment: