Saturday, December 17, 2011

For the next guy...a Bandh!

So I'm settled back in Kathmandu, and although today was the first Saturday of junior clinics in this city, we had only a limited turn out. Why, you may ask? Well, there was a temporary bandh, or strike, where (theoretically) the public shuts down everything, including taxis, stores, offices, etc, until the government succumbs to the public outcry. Needless, to say, as I was walking to the golf course this afternoon, I saw a bunch of riot police lining the streets of my somewhat peaceful daily walk. By somewhat peaceful, I mean I have to go through a "waiting hall" which is a brick building , housing a mini convenience store, and a bunch of Nepalese. After being asked when my flight is (the airport is close to the golf course)  I am waived through and begin my walk up the hill, crossing the street only after I pass the Army station and barbed wire on the opposite side. I promise to have pictures soon, but my phone is in customs (another story as well as another reason to hope the bandh ends soon), and you'll have to settle for words and some old pictures for now....
Where was I? ahh yes, so only twelve kids due to the strike, but I do enjoy being called Mister Stan! Anyway, we had about an hour and a half of range time, which is a lot less than we would normally have, but, again due to the strike, all the members who played golf in the morning were still at the course, unable to drive. A good example of city life in Nepal occured when I was walking up to the clubhouse and one member told me in passing that the airport in Chitwan had been attacked. "Ahh, such is life in Nepal", he said, and patted me on the shoulder with a smile.
I wish this post was more about the kids, but without pictures, you really can't see how cute and amazing they are. Also, I want the next pro to really know what he/she has waiting for him/her . (end political correctness) Also, I lied about having even old pictures, the bandwidth will not allow it. So until next time (with PICTURES) adios!

1 comment: