Thursday, September 22, 2011

DMV practice

Only a few work weeks left at Terra Lago before I begin an extended absence in Kathmandu. I've scheduled a couple of flights to see family and friends; one to Portland, and one to Syracuse. I've set up the end dates for my cable, gas and electric services, I've gotten half the shots I need, and I have two dentist appointments left. I have the flight and confirmation numbers for each flight, extra passport photos, ID's, and I have even conquered the California DMV.  It took me three different trips there to register my car, get a CA license, and ID card.
Some people have told me that getting things done in Kathmandu requires a lot of patience and you have to be prepared to be around people who do not speak your language very well, if at all. I could say the same of the DMV in southern Cali. I just used the long lines, endless arguments in Spanish, and crying children as a mini-practice for being in a foreign country.
Am I comparing the DMV to Kathmandu? No, and I would never level such a charge at a place I've never been. I did find my self singing this Primus song shortly after I was told I needed a smog check. I asked the lady where the closest place I could get it done was. She said, "At any of the smog check places." I see.
Getting myself organized has been a particularly rewarding part of this whole trip. And I'm already grateful for having this experience in order to force me to take care of some things that had been lagging behind. I've already mentioned the dentist (Thank You, William S!), but I've also been forced to bring my student loans into order, my car stuff, and some other, more personal things have even been cleared up.
Next post will definitely be about golf! (maybe)!

No comments:

Post a Comment