Saturday, October 8, 2011

I wanted to share something this morning from Seth's Blog which I found to be relative to my situation.

Expanding the circle of 'missed'

Would they miss you if you didn't show up? Would they miss your brand or your writing or your leadership?
If you work at the local fast food joint or the local library and you don't show up for work, do they consider shutting the place down? If you're on the team at the ER and you have a bad day, would someone die?
Everyone is capable of being missed. Most of us would be missed by our family if we secretly moved to Perth in the middle of the night. The question, then, is not whether or not you're capable of being missed. The question is whether you will choose to be missed by a wider circle of people.
It's a risk, of course. You have to extend yourself. You must make promises (and then keep them.) More pressure than it might be worth.
Except when it is.

If this comes across as humblebragging, forgive me. However, I think that if everyone took an approach similar to this, there would be less listlessness and apathy in our every day lives. Or at least in mine!

Now, as the countdown to KTM moves into it's final month, I am actually more calm than nervous; more excited to leave than scared to get there. Most of the pressure I feel from this job up until this point ahs been the preparation for departure. Any additional pressure is assuredly assigned by myself. Everyone who has been kind enough to answer my questions and calm my nerves about Kathmandu repeats the same thing - Don't sweat the small stuff. How great is it to have people repeating this mantra to you whenever you're a little nervous? What is really interesting is how much all of this has crept into my daily routine. I no longer obsess over small things to the point of annoyance and I'm generally ready to do anything as long as I'm not just sitting around. (Personal Aside- now that the Yankees are out of the playoffs I have no excuse to sit around ).

Next Entry: How the Hell did I get a guide for Guangzhou, China?

No comments:

Post a Comment